I need help.......

Runar Krogen rkrogen at online.no
Sat May 6 12:54:34 EDT 2000

In 1998 northern Norway experienced a summer warmer than normal. Breeding
of Vanessa cardui almost certainly took place at about 66.5 degrees N.
Latitude in Mo i Rana, for those who have a map. The first migrant was seen
there on June 23. Caterpillars were found in August. During three days, 14.
- 16. September three fresh adults were seen flying around, indicating a
successful breeding just a few yards south of the Arctic Circle. In the
same season of 1998 the species also bred in central Norway around
Trondheim at 63.5 degrees N.Latitude. Here I found more than 200
caterpillars late season, but few developed into butterflies in nature. The
conditions were better in northen Norway (normally it is the opposite)
during the season of 1998. There will be published a paper on migrant
butterflies in central and north Norway in 1998 in the journal ATALANTA
later on.
Around Trondheim V. cardui has bred sucessfully in certain years. The best
years were probably the warm seasons of 1980 and 1988 when V. cardui was
common in fresh specimens early autumn. V. atalanta breeds regularly around
Trondheim, f.ex. last season, 1999.

Runar Krogen

Finnmyrveien 38,
N-7350 Buvika,