Unidentified caterpillar

Roger KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Mon May 8 13:21:22 EDT 2000

This is Cosmia trapezina  (Linn.) (UK vernacular = The Dun-bar).

from Porter (1997)
"The larvae are readily taken by beating, especially at night when more
active, often attacking other lepidopterous larvae while still on the
sheet, and have also been known to nip unwary fingers when handled. They
are easy to rear, but should be kept separately, pupating in a cocoon
among plant litter or just in the soil".

Reference:

Porter, J., 1997. The Colour Identification Guide to Caterpillars of the
British Isles (Macrolepidoptera). Viking Press, Harmondsworth,
Middlesex, England.

--
Roger C. KENDRICK
  Demonstrator / Ph.D. Student