Checkerspot on the news

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon May 8 13:20:30 EDT 2000

In article <3.0.1.32.20000507074817.007da580 at mail.ucr.edu>
           Gates at ucrac1.ucr.edu "Michael Gates" writes:

> A few comments on a few responses...
>
> Doug Yanega wrote:
> >>Would that be the Chalcedon checkerspot, do you think?
> >
> >No, it would Euphydryas e. editha, known as the Bay Checkerspot
> <snip>
> >Five years with no sightings is certainly possible on an inhabited piece of
> >property, though it all depends on the credibility of the consultants doing
> >the surveys. One certainly does hear of consulting firms who conveniently
> >fail to report positive sightings, or contract out to marginally competent
> >field people who don't do a thorough job of surveying.
>
> I agree 100% Doug.  Some consultants can't help the fact that they don't have
> years of experience with butterflies, but they get permitted for survey work
> and are legitimately trying to increase their knowledge about their natural
> history, etc. Bravo! However, there are slimebags in developers' pockets who
> will say anything for a buck.  It reminds me of a site near Temecula in S.
> Cal.
> two years ago that was surveyed by a "biostitute" who reported that no
> hostplant
> was to be seen for the listed Quino Checkerspot Butterfly.  This site had been
> partially graded. A legitimate biologist went out a few days later (on his own
> dime) and found exceptional hostplant populations growing in and around the
> ruts
> left by the grader! I can confirm this because I saw it a couple days after
> him.

It seems people are no different in our part of the world. As our regulations
stiffen we are finding more of this. The guys vary very greatly in quality
I have several friends in the consultancy business. There are however
some horror stories to tell. I can parallel the story above with our
Checkerspot.
An Environmental Impact assesment that actually stated that only one
specimen of the foodplant was found when examination showed that there
was a small field full.

The CON-sultant is a phenomenon on both sides of the atlantic.

As for developers and their claims read this one below. It is a
hillarious poster put around a village in South Wales by local people
who wanted to save a butterfly colony. A company spokesman did actually
say the trees were stolen!

		MISSING, BELIEVED STOLEN

               Two forty-foot high oak trees

It has been reported that two large oak trees that have been
growing on the  site for many years have been "stolen"
from under the eyes of the site occupiers, despite
the employment of a professional security company.

None of the occupiers of the site would have felled the trees
without planning permission from the council and the only
explanation possible is that the trees have been feloniously
removed by unknown and unseen persons.

Are all our trees at risk from the criminals responsible, and
must we guard our gardens and allotments from this new type
of plant theft?

Can you help solve this crime?
Did you see in the last three months any suspicious looking
character making off with a 40-foot oak tree, that didn't look
like his own?
Have you ever been offered a similar tree, in the pub, that "fell
off a lorry"?
Have you seen lots of sawdust in places where it shouldn't be?
The authorities are baffled, perhaps the local community can
help!!
If you know any thing, tell the company, or the council!!!

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog