Are environmental impact statements imperfect

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 8 23:41:19 EDT 2000

I agree that most EIS contractors are dedicated, very hardworking, sincere
people.
  The first problem is that they are expected to be experienced universal
biologists/naturalists, when this is a specialty not adequately taught in
our universities for nearly a half century - it is old fashioned science.
  The second problem is that they are expected to survey and sample
conditions of the moment, and compare their findings with the normal
condition - when there has been no base-line survey conducted to establish
what "normal" was!
  The third problem is that when they turn to experts in a particular group
(if they can be found) they often find that they are themselves the expert,
because no-one else has studied the organisms of interest anywhere near the
region of interest.
   EIS seems premature in those regions of the world that are still being
described. If half the money thrown at EIS were redirected to biological
survey we would start to obtain some realistic figures of true biotic
diversity and begin to have some real figures on actual extinction rates.
   These remarks do not apply in general to work on birds, mammals,
reptiles, amphibians and fish in Greater Europe and parts of North America.
Apart from Britain, there is little known about butterfly distribution and
ecology, because the baseline biogeographic description has just not yet
been done.
   In my local region (Balconian Canyonlands of Texas) most EIS work is
nebulously non biologic computer assessment of habitats predicted from
skeleton databases or it is primary biological survey which uncovers new
species (even vertebrates in need of description and listing). To think of
this work as adequate EIS, suitable for development and policy
decision-making is a travesty.
   The bottom line is - applied science (EIS) cannot be done until basic
science (descriptive survey) has been done.
.......Chris Durden