unidentified butterfly

Stelenes at aol.com Stelenes at aol.com
Wed May 10 03:49:04 EDT 2000

Christina, hmmmm...not much to go on!  Did you check Pyrgus communis, the
Common Checkered Skipper?  This butterfly is quite small and can give the
appearance of a browinish tinge in its usually grayish checkers, can be quite
beautiful an overlooked...I don't know if it is around in Phila at this time,
but I am near that latitude (OK that may be a lousy comparison) and there are
plenty flying around...any Hollyhock in the garden?  It's one of their host
plants though they aren't too picky.

Doug Dawn
Woodland, CA

in CA andIn a message dated 5/9/00 4:45:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,