Summer Position

David Wagner dwagner at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Wed May 10 17:34:33 EDT 2000

Job Opening

I am looking for a student to run my insect rearing facility (think caterpillar
ranch) for the summer.  I can offer between $3,000-$5,000 for June, July, and
August, depending on background and experience.  There is a possibility of
starting the working in May.

The immediate goal is to collect photographic images and specimen vouchers of
eastern caterpillars for a field guide. I expect we will process about 300-400
collections this summer.

Principal responsibilities:
daily maintenance of 100-200 caterpillar rearing lots
beating sheet collections of wild larvae
insect macrophotography
database management

Helpful Prior Experience:
Insect rearing and handling
Shrub and tree identification
Mounting and other curation techniques

A car will be essential.

If you are interested in the immature stages of insects, this should prove a
fascinating summer.

David L. Wagner
Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
v. 860-486-2139; f. 860-486-6364