unidentified butterfly

ciprit ciprit at snip.net
Thu May 11 20:11:17 EDT 2000

Based on appearance alone (based on my field guide), I would have to agree with Common
Checkered Skipper or Grizzled Skipper.  Keeping in mind I could not get a close look, I
would say the pic. of the Grizzled Skipper is closer.  Definitely NOT the Pearly
Crescentspot.  Could either of the other species have landed on grass for water?--as I
mentioned I had just watered my lawn.  (Sorry if that is a silly question, I'm just a
butterfly observer, not a lepidopterist.)
Thanks to all,
Christina