Wyandot in Philly?

ciprit ciprit at snip.net
Fri May 12 10:21:34 EDT 2000

The is PLENTY of cinquefoil (buttercups) in my Philadelphia neighborhood.  In
fact, there is a large grassy, weedy area nearby just FULL of it.  And there's
strawberry on my lawn.  Also, there's a 14 mile long natural park about 1 1/2
mi. from my house with plenty of trees & flowers native to the area, a creek,
some meadowy areas, etc.  It's not exactly forest or anything, but to give you
an idea of the type of space it is, one can often spot white-tailed deer and
woodpeckers in the park.  It's also a good place to observe at least one species
of Polygonia-- I've seen either Questionmarks or Commas there.  I'd have to look
at my notes to remember which one I thought I observed.

My point is, could there be sufficient natural habitat in my area to support
Wyandot?  If not, I'll have to agree that I saw a Common Checkered Skipper.

Christina