Pyrgus centaureae wyandot

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Sat May 13 00:45:58 EDT 2000

Let me try another nickel worths:

I can see that somebody does not like my collecting habits. I lived in the
mountains of Virginia from 1974 to 1982. Our home in Augusta County was set
deep in a heavily wooded area on 97 acres. Pyrgus centaureae wyandot would
visit the Pussy Toe's that bloomed in openings in the woods. I loved to
collect in the mountains of Virginia, especially in the spring. I never had a
problem locating populations of Pyrgus centaureae wyandot. I only collect few
specimens from each location for the record. I visited one area near
Blacksburg, Virginia in 1992 and found Pyrgus centaureae wyandot still
present and in good numbers. However, I was not looking for Pyrgus centaureae
wyandot, I was searching for Erora laeta, which was also present.

I spend lots of time in the field, and I take voucher specimens wherever I
go, for the record. My specimens are a natural history record. I never
understood the listing of Pyrgus centaureae wyandot, maybe some people need
to go look for it like I did. Either with a net (MY CHOICE) or a camera. They
would be surprised at what they might find.

And Mr. Emmit, I did report the vast majority of my records in the News of
the Southern Lepidopterists' Society and the Season Summary of the
Lepidopterists Society. I also gave the majority of my records to Dr. Opler
when he was working on the Butterflies East of the Great Plains. They were in
the mountains of Virginia and North Carolina in the 1970s and 1980s, it was
still in the mountains when I left Virginia in 1983, and they were still
there in the 1990s, and I will bet they are still there now. I am not
attempting to be a smart ass, but who is out in the mountains looking for it
now? I am just curious.

The small number of specimens that I remove from nature is nothing when
compared to the number that a bulldozer blade will take out. A prime example,
drive south down the Florida Turnpike from Palm Beach County, after you enter
Broward County you will smell the Pompano Landfill before you see it. Look to
the West, that was once 605 acres of Cypress Wetlands and Hard Wood Forest of
sorts, a place where I collected and will soon be houses. How many
butterflies, moths, beetles, flies, rabbits, birds, snakes, mosquitoes,
cockroaches, etc., etc., were lost to this land clearing project. However,
once the houses are built there will be a need for pest control people to get
whatever manages to survive. Now there's a viscous cycle!

I live in Florida now, you would be surprised by what I have found since I
moved back hear in 1998! And yes, I still reported my collecting records in
the news of the Southern Lepidopterists' Society.

Leroy C. Koehn
6085 Wedgewood Village Circle
Lake Worth, FL 33463-7371
Hm: 561-966-1655