Xerces Blue

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon May 15 10:14:52 EDT 2000

In article <391F441D.D654C41F at concentric.net>
           birdcr at CONCENTRIC.NET "Randy Emmitt" writes:

> Christie,
>
> Doug Dawn wrote:
>
> "The Xerces Blue is very easy to distinguish from
> the Silvery Blue which is a common name for the species argued to contain
> it.
>  If you look at the upper wing it is hard to tell, but the lower surface
> were
> albino white dots instead of the black ones you see in this pic of the
> Silvery Blue"

Actually the Xerces Blue existed in two forms as I understand it .
tHe typical xerces form and the form antiacis. The latter had heavily black
centred white spots. Does anyone know how this compares with the
Palos Verdes Blue which is obviously a close relation? The Palos Verdes
has more pronounced hindwing spots which sound just like this.
For those used to latin the Palos Verdes Blue is
Glaucopsyche lygdamus palosverdesensis.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog