Pyrgus centaureae wyandot

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Tue May 16 17:16:55 EDT 2000

Here we go again. OK, I will rise to the bait :-) It is patently incorrect
to assume or state the generalization that collectors target specific things
and imply that they only target rare species. Utter nonsense, enough to gag
a maggot. Maybe there are 'bad' collectors if one wants to take a moralistic
view of this topic. But if so then one might as well speculate that there
are bad watchers and bad photographers and bad non-collectors etc ad
nauseum.  Kinda funny how this perception of villainous collectors wiping
things out keeps surfacing. Those of you who believe this drivel; please
provide some evidence that this is a real issue or consider the possibility
that this is a fable used by some to sermonize and try to impose their view
of moral rectitude on the rest of us. Reputations and facts are frequently
different things but it seems to be human nature to believe whatever one
wishes without doing much info gathering. Much easier to just have
perceptions and sling mud at people with different interests. Reminds me of
the mind set that perpetrated the Inquisition in Europe or the Salem witch
trails etc; perish the thought that in contemporary society we would
tolerate any kind of difference in how other people chose to enjoy
butterflies.  That's my rant until next time :-) PS. Yes, I even eat at
McDonald's, heaven forbid ! -- and even enjoy watching the Epargyreus clarus
as I munch.