Extinction of Mitchell's Satyr by collectors

Robert Kriegel kriegelr at pilot.msu.edu
Wed May 17 09:55:35 EDT 2000

I know that there are list participants out there who have more information
on the truth-or-urban-legend of the statement below.

> It is widely believed that Mitchell's Satyr was eliminated from its last
> known New Jersey location by collecting.

Other than a presumed increase in collecting pressure, what evidence is
there that the last population was eliminated by collectors?

Folks, this one is worth airing out.  This extinction event has been
referred to in Nature Conservancy literature and in National Geographic
magazine.  It is the most widely cited case in North America for the
extinction of a butterfly population by collectors.  I have heard strong
opinions on both sides of the argument about this event.  What I have not
heard is evidence!

Bob Kriegel