extinction by collecting

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed May 17 10:45:58 EDT 2000

Michael Gochfeld wrote:

> It is widely believed that Mitchell's Satyr was eliminated
> from its last
> known New Jersey location by collecting.  As the species got
> rarer the
> collecting pressure increased.  It was not listed as endangered until
> years later.  Whether you accept that collecting was the only
> straw or
> the last straw (natural local extinctions happen), it is
> ironic that a
> species has to become really rare before the regulatory
> system is allow
> to protect it.
>
> But in this case the fen habitat still exists (several fens
> in fact).
> It's possible that the species still exists, but it has not
> been found
> (or at least admitted to) by anyone.

I appreciate Michael's insights on Mitchell's Satyr.  Nevertheless, it is
worth considering the fact that collecting data is often the only way we
know about the health of a population.  It stands to reason that the last
remaining data on a species that disappears came from a collector - leaving
the door open for false conclusions.

On the other hand, I will acknowledge the attraction of collecting specimens
of species that are unique or hard to find.  This becomes even more
problematic when there is a commercial value associated with the species.
This sort of combination begins to become potentially detrimental to
isolated species of concern.

Still - and certainly this is true for the Mitchell's Satyr - the original
problem was created by a loss of habitat.  The fact that the butterfly has
disappeared before all of the existing habitat has disappeared is not
surprising. As has been discussed in a related thread, little islands of
habitat are often not sufficient for sustaining healthy populations.

As obnoxious as it is to consider a collector sneaking into an isolated pine
barren or fen to collect a species of concern, the species might not be a
concern if it were not for irresponsible development practices.  If we are
genuinely interested in keeping our invertebrate friends around for our
grandchildren to enjoy, then we need to ensure proper habitat management and
preservation.  We do not need to point fingers that associate blame on
foaming-at-the-mouth collectors.

Mark Walker.