Extinction of Mitchell's Satyr by collectors

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed May 17 22:03:19 EDT 2000

As usualy, John has brought great clarity to an historically murky
situation (even when purporting to "confuse the issue
further").  I've gotten leads on collectors who were in the field with
the purported "terminator" and will see if I can add some additional
information (if only more circumstantial), by way of documenting the
demise of the species.  The last known NJ site, the "Johnsonburg Bog"
(technically a fen), was visited by a number of collectors and butterfly
watchers during the mid and late 80's.  After a number of unsuccessful
attempts to find the species at this last known locality, it was
presumed "extirpated".  We'll see what I can learn about subsequent
attempts to track it down.

A disturbing feature of John's posting is that both the New Jersey and
North Carolina collectors, deliberately misrepresented collecting
information (sites? dates?) which certainly undermines the scientific
value of collecting.  Unscrupulous collectors are not unique to
butterflies. The history of bird collecting has some choice stories
about labels falsified to encourage a patron to pay a higher price (I
recall mentioning this on the list a year or so ago).
Gene Eisenmann, Neotropical bird expert of the AMNH, pointed out that
many of the Olalla specimens from Brazil were deliberately mislabelled
(they would collect on one side of a river and then label part of their
catch as coming from the other side of the river, thereby vitiating
studies of whether wide Amazonian basin rivers formed species
boundaries.

I think it important to remind people that whether collecting is "good"
or "bad" or whether collectors are "good" or "bad", or how many of the
latter there may be in our midst, are separate questions from "whether
or not a species or a population CAN be collected out of existence. A
species with high fecundity, high vagility, broad habitat tolerance, and
large initial populations sizes is not a model for a relict species with
small populations, low fecundity, restricted range, and short flight
period.  Despite time-honored beliefs, it would have been relatively
easy with multiple visits each year over a period of a few years, to
eliminate the Satyr species (or at least reduce it to a low level where
random events led to its extinction).

M. Gochfeld