Extinction of Mitchell's Satyr by collectors

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Thu May 18 16:48:16 EDT 2000

It is unfortunate that some parts of the planet have been so extensively
modified by human activity that there is little in the way of natural flora
and fauna left to enjoy.  My sincere condolences to those who must travel
long distances to see more than a few butterflies.  My situation perhaps
lies at the opposite end of the spectrum. I sauntered about on about 1
hectare of mountainside at the edge of the town where I work as a lunch
break today.  I easily saw at least hundreds of butterflies of more than 15
species.  There were too many to count and of course one seldom sees but a
small fraction of the total population in a brief visit.  The Glaucopsyche
lygdamus and Icaricia icarioides were literally swarming among the Lupinus.
The site was not virgin wilderness, in fact by local standards it qualifies
as ecologically degraded - but still plenty of resources to support very
robust butterfly populations.  Butterfly watchers, photographers and
collectors are welcome as visitors in western Canada - help keep our country
green, bring money :-)