Great butterfly day in OR!

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Mon May 22 13:50:01 EDT 2000

Leps-lers,
Actually, we only saw 4 species here in the butterfly desert of the
Willamette Valley (3 if you don't count P. rapae) but of those, one
was Fender's Blue, recently listed as federally endangered (other
species were Coenonympha tullia or whatever it is and Glaucopsyche
lygdamus).  The Kincaid's Lupine was at peak bloom and there were
several males and females in good shape flying.  Got a few pics of a
male that should be good.  Got pics of females laying eggs last year.
Which brings me to the point of collecting or not?  I collect where I
can and where I can't, I bring a camera.  I think it's a great
balance, I can "collect" sensitive species on film, and I'm out doing
what I love either way.  The people that trashed Leroy's traps should
be ashamed and should at the very least apologize and pay him for the
traps.  It's going to be tough to replace the work done and the lost
data.

Happy leps to all...
Rich

Richard A. Worth