No subject

NABA naba at naba.org
Tue May 23 19:30:35 EDT 2000

Earlier today, the following message was intended to be copied to this address, but an empty message was inadvertantly sent instead.

Dear Mr. Koehn,

Alana Edwards forwarded to me your email in which you state that you have received telephone calls informing you that a NABA member destroyed a trap and removed others that you had placed near Port Mayaca.

Please be assured that if such actions did in fact take place, they were in no way encouraged nor condoned by NABA. I have seen some of the same second and third hand information that you have seen, stating that a NABA member did interfere with one of your traps. If you do have convincing information that a particular individual destroyed your trap, I encourage you to take this matter up with them directly, if you so desire. If a NABA member participating on one of these field trips did destroy or take a trap belonging to you, then I sincerely apologize on behalf of NABA for their behavior.

A few groups of NABA members did visit an area near Port Mayaca in conjunction with the NABA Members Meeting being held in nearby West Palm Beach, Florida. I, myself led the first group of approximately 16 people to this area on Friday, May 18. You mention that you had placed a number of traps in this area, but I noticed only a single trap placed in a tree. Since my group was the first NABA field trip group to visit the site, it is entirely possible that other, non-NABA people removed some of them. As you probably know, bait traps can attract all sorts of attention. The first traps that Bob Robbins and I placed near the Amazon River in 1970 were cut down and stolen the first day out.

Very few of the people in my group remarked about the trap and certainly none did anything to disturb it. Personally, I had no idea as to whom the trap belonged or for what purpose it were there, but assumed (apparently not entirely correctly) that any butterflies trapped would be released. A few other groups visited the same area when I was not present.

To reiterate, NABA does not condone the destruction of others’ property and if a NABA member was involved in such destruction during a NABA-led field trip, then we apologize for that individual’s unwarranted, unauthorized and unacceptable behavior.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Glassberg

President: NABA