Lime hawk moth - (Mimas tiliae)

Chris Raper cmt.raper at triocomp.co.uk
Tue May 30 08:31:18 EDT 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000 10:40:59 GMT, "Russell England"
<russ at globaldialysis.com> wrote:

>it appears we had a lime hawk moth (Mimas tiliae)
>in our garden yesterday afternoon.

Nice

>It was at the bottom of our silver birch tree. I have a picture of it for
>anyone that is interested.

Certainly would be interesting - but don't post the binary to the
group - put it down on your web-area and post the address here.

>Is this a rare moth?

Not exceptionally - it all depends on the habitat around you. I have
only recorded 1 in 10 years of recording on a chalk downland site -
but there are very few Lime trees in the area. :-)

Best wishes,
Chris R.