Southern Hairstreak

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Nov 4 07:54:46 EST 2000

Thanks to Alan for the northern perspective. Now we need some Floridians
to tell us whether "Southern Hairstreak" works for them.  I agree
entirely with the Alan's on the need to have a broad perspective when it
comes to a geographically delineated name.  My contention is that
neither name was good (partly for the same reason that Alan just gave).
But, I realize now that may have been just a New Jersey perspective.

I thought of Rare Hairstreak, because it seems to be rare in most places
(Ontario for example, from whence the name S.f.ontario derives), or
maybe "Erratic" because it shows up unpredictably one year (often quite
commonly) and then disappears. Just as if it were blown in on a wind one
year and not the next.

Opler gives the etymology for "favonius" as Western Spring Wind. So
maybe the Western Hairstreak or Spring Wind Hairstreak or even Favonius
Hairstreak might be less confusing than Northern or Southern (or
Northern/Southern).

Mike Gochfeld