favonius/ontario

Alan Wormington wormington at juno.com
Sat Nov 4 17:22:41 EST 2000

This is great information, but before this gets out-of-hand it should be
known that both records of *ontario* in Ontario pertain to STRAY
individuals.  The location of the type (Port Stanley) is a locality (on
Lake Erie) where stray  immigrants of numerous species have been found
over the decades.  At Point Pelee, the *ontario* that we found there in
1999 (just shy of the actual Tip) was an obvious stray -- not only did
White-M Hairstreak show up during the same week, but during the same week
another Northern Hairstreak appeared on the south shore of Lake Erie near
Cleveland.  I doubt there are many places in North America that have been
more intensely monitored than tiny Point Pelee during the past 20 years.
Therefore, the suggestion that the species is at Point Pelee but has been
overlooked for 130 years due to the species behaviour is 100% improbable.

Also, re naming these butterflies, I don't think most people want to use
separate common names for different subspecies of a single species (that
is, retaining the useage of "Northern" and "Southern" if it is determined
that the entities do pertain to a single species).  I agree that choosing
one name over the other, or coming up with something different, might be
difficult.  I can think of at least one parallel situation:  the common
names "Red-spotted Purple" and "White Admiral" that are in widespread
use, but pertain to a single species.

Alan Wormington
Leamington, Ontario

New Web Page (incomplete, but I'm working on it):  www.Point-Pelee.com