Southern strays

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Sun Nov 5 18:21:46 EST 2000

    These trends also work in the negative. I think it is fair to attribute
the scarcity of many species of Lepidoptera in the Sand Hills region of
South Carolina to these recent climatic trends. Years of hot weather and
less rain in already arid regions can is devastating. In ages past
populations could shift their regional distribution centers. In areas of
extensive human environmental destruction or alteration, this can no longer
occur.
    The following is a brutal fact. This planet and the organisms on it have
rolled with the eonic environmental punches.Things have been able to evolve
and thus survive because there was always a niche, a corner of the ring, to
retreat to. In the past the great swings of global warming and cooling have
been survivable because biogeological movement was available. Modern man has
changed this for a long time to come. Thus, global warming concerns me very
little (I don't own beach property), because regardless of the cause, it has
happened before and will happen again. I am concerned that so many living
things no longer have somewhere else to go to weather the storm.