Strays vs stays

Alan Wormington wormington at juno.com
Sun Nov 5 18:17:44 EST 2000

Everyone,

Just another follow-up to my original message.  The first Marine Blue I
found at Point Pelee was on June 16th (I don't have the year in front of
me).  It was very worn.  Therefore, based on the relatively early date
(for Ontario), it either DID come from the U.S. southwest, or from a
brood in transit.  Either way, it flew a great distance.

Being worn, one can assume that it was probably fresh on or around early
June; therefore, it must have been produced from eggs laid somewhere in
late April (based on a presumed 40-day cycle or so).  Therefore --
somewhere -- a Marine Blue laid eggs in late April.  Regardless of where
that was, it was a long way from Ontario (or in the unlikely situation
that it was relatively close to Ontario, then the individual that laid
the eggs had travelled an immense distance).

The Great Southern White at Point Pelee:  This was on also on June 16th,
different year, same date by co-incidence only.  Again, eggs must have
been laid somewhere in late April to mid-May; wherever it was, it was a
long way from Ontario.

Another example:  there is a record of Red-banded Hairstreak from
south-central Saskatchewan, many hundreds of miles (perhaps 1000+ miles?)
from the next known record.  Migratory or not, this demonstrates that a
hairstreak has the ability to cover some ground.  And I don't think
Red-banded Hairstreak is considered highly migratory.

Why can't *ontario* (Northern Hairstreak) move a fair distance (even a
short distance) in years of abundance?  It is well known that Hickory
Hairstreak irrupts on occasion and it is during these years that it is
often found in new locations.

Everyone might note that I am currently 35 miles E of North Padre Island,
Texas.  I am on an oil platform conducting bird and insect migration
studies for LSU (Baton Rouge).  This has been an on-going project for 2
1/2 years now and at times we have had people on (10) different platforms
at the same time, scattered from south Texas to eastern Louisiana in the
Gulf of Mexico.  Our scientifically-based research (not by birders) has
demonstrated that insects have the ability to travel immense distances --
but it would be impossible to start detailing our findings here.

Alan Wormington (one "l", not two)
Leamington, Ontario

*end*

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!