all kind of transports

Jean-Michel MAES jmmaes at ibw.com.ni
Sun Nov 5 20:30:49 EST 2000

Dear Ron,

Dr. Laurence Mound, in some of his wonderful works on Thysanoptera, has
shown some maps where we can see the distribution by man. For some species
he gives also some hypothesis of when and by which transport the thrips has
come. In the case of thrips, no possibility of flying from Meditteranea to
India... In many case of localities far of "normal" distribution, it's
important to look for the most "logical" solution. A specimen of a big
Dorcus from Japan was found some years ago in Bordeaux (France), probably
travelling with some wood...  If I remember well there is an english
entomologist who made a very big work on the larvae of tropical  longhorn
beetles without going out of england, just looking at the trunks coming from
there and there in the world, he describes the larvae of some hundreds
species of longhorns... it is not so casual that an insect moves with boat,
planes, train (there are reports), car (fumigations against mosquitoes on
car and buses at border Nicaragua/Costa Rica), and including on people, we
get sometimes german cockroaches in the bag from the market... I have a
friend who import a small nest of termites with some wood art from Zaire (?
Congo).

Good hope to get a Caligo in Charleston...
More easy to come to Nicaragua and get some of them. We get nerly 50 of them
(4 species) in Los Guatusos, near border of Costa Rica last week, with fruit
traps. Perhaps if you put some fruit traps in the harbour could work, just
pacience...

Sincerely,

Jean-Michel MAES
MUSEO ENTOMOLOGICO
AP 527
LEON
NICARAGUA
tel 505-3116586
jmmaes at ibw.com.ni
www.insectariumvirtual.com/termitero/termitero.htm#nicaragua
www.insectariumvirtual.com/lasmariposasdenicaragua.htm
www-museum.unl.edu/research/entomology/workers/JMaes.htm
www-museum.unl.edu/research/entomology/database2/honduintro.htm