It is "Gillette's Checkerspot"

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Mon Nov 6 03:05:50 EST 2000

> Upon checking in two bibliographies it is clear that Clarence P. Gillette
> (with an "e" at the end), is the correct spelling, not Gillett.

	In _Contributions to the Natural History of the Lepidoptera of North
America_ by Barnes & McDunnough, on the back side of the title page of all
parts from Vol I, No. 1 (1911) through Vol IV, No. 2 (1918),
is the following:

                                Published
                           Under the Patronage
                                   of
                          MISS JESSIE D. GILLETT,
                               Elkhart, Ill.

It would appear that either Barnes or McDunnough felt very much indebted
to Miss Gillett, at least from 1911 to 1918. There would appear to be a
possibility that the species might have been named for Jessie Gillett.
Does the O.D. state for whom the species was named? If not, what is the
evidence that Clarence P. Gillette was the person being honored?

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu