_antilochus_

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 7 11:47:04 EST 2000

Ah! The trout rose to take the fly.

  Verity in an obscure paper about 1916 (next time I am at the office I
shall look for it) searched for Linnean types. He came up with a specimen
of *canadensis* labelled *antilochus* that was probably collected by Pehr
Kalm somewhere on the St. Lawrence North Shore. Pehr Kalm was a naturalist
from Finland who travelled in North America to collect for Linne. He
visited sites in Pennsylvania and upstate New York. He made a brief
excursion to Niagara Falls for *Cercis canadensis*. He travelled via Lake
Champlain to Montreal and Quebec, with excursions to Lac St. Jean and the
North Share. He took a live raccoon back to Sweden which was kept as a pet
by Linne for several years. You can read more about the Canadian portion of
Kalm's travels in - "Voyage de Pehr Kalm au Canada en 1749" Traduction
annotee du journal de route par Jacques Rousseau et Guy Bethune avec le
concours de Pierre Morisset, 1977 (Pierre Tisseyre, 8955 blvd.
Saint-Laurent, Montreal H2N 1M6) (ISBN-7753-6100-3).
  I think there is merit in Verity's presentation. I shall copy the paper
when I find it.
........Chris