'nireus' ?

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Fri Nov 10 10:44:12 EST 2000

I have no idea what 'nireus' means but I can share some observations on
color and color perception.
- no two humans perceive color exactly the same; and some perceive fewer
colors than others
- color is a very complicated phenomena and one approach to describing
colors deals with three major dimensions: hue, chroma, value
- color is shaped by intrinsic variables of the object being examined and
also the kind and angle of light source being used for the examination
- color of butterflies can vary over time and living or recently deceased
butterflies under natural, full spectrum light can look quite different than
the same insect a couple of years later, under natural or artificial light
- two examples that I have noticed: fresh individuals of Speyeria atlantis
hollandi had areas of green scaling in the vhw discal area which on aging
turned into perceived blue scaling; also many satyrids in northern areas
appear blackish/grayish while alive but when viewed as aged specimens become
distinctly brownish
- so the bottom line to all this for me is that I no longer expect
butterflies that I have in hand to have the same colors perceived by other
humanoids - and then there are the vagaries created by the photographic and
printing process going into illustrations in books.