Monarch extinction and conservatism

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Nov 13 10:52:58 EST 2000

John Grehan wrote:

> Viewed this way, political conservatives should also often be at the
> forefront of environmental conservation efforts.

I agree - and would contend that it's more commonly the case than our
media-driven perception has lead us to believe.  Certainly not all political
conservatives have a keen economic interest in the ongoing raping of natural
resources.  Many of us spend most of our personal time engaging one-on-one
with nature, and maintain a strong interest in preserving it for our
children's children's children.  Nothing comes for free, however, and
conservation without large government bureaucracy requires solidified
private action.  Private action requires getting-off-your-duff, which many
would argue doesn't happen without government prodding and policing.

Perhaps when the hard-working people who are more accustomed to being
"off-their-duffs" already realize that the big government agencies they pay
to solve fiscal problems are just as "duff-heavy" and "couch-prone" as the
fattest of conservatives, we may finally start getting some real work done.

Ooops.  I digress.

Mark Walker
Oceanside, CA
(presently in Chi-town, Illinois)