[LEPS-L:7875] Re: [SoWestLep] Mexico expands monarch butterfly habitat

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Tue Nov 14 18:20:50 EST 2000

Leroy,
    I concur fully about the ebb and flow of insect life in the keys. My
first visit there was in 1968. Here is just one observation from a trip in
the 80's. I was standing in the middle of the road on the north end of Key
Largo. The mosquito plane flew over on one side of the road spraying away.
Within seconds I saw several Black Witch moths fly from the Hammock on that
side of the road into the hammocks on the other side. They obviously "felt"
harassed, didn't like it.
    Part of the endangered species act is directed against the harassment
and disturbing of endangered species. There is no doubt in my mind that the
spraying of mosquitoes by government agencies (local, state, and federal)
harasses any endangered insects that might be in the area. This is a
violation of law. But, as usual, the same governments that prosecute their
citizens for offenses against endangered species exempt themselves from the
same. (Bug zappers in National Parks but no moth collectors allowed.
Bulldoze the area for new camp sites. Build a logging road in the Wildlife
Refuge.) I need to quit here before we get into the
military-industrial-complex-created / environmental-crisis-ploy /
government-confiscation-of-private-property /
to-gain-access-to-private-resources /
because-the-complex-has-depleted-the-public-property-resources conspiracy
theory. Hey, I have a better one than that.  Why did the Black Witch cross
the road?...