[LEPS-L:7926] Is this a Catocala?

GHG3 ghg3 at aol.com
Sun Nov 19 18:59:16 EST 2000

I'm very new to this wonderful hobby.  This was my first season collecting.
I'm sure all of you can help me with identifying these, despite the pitiful
scan.

These were abundant this season in my northern Rhode Island backyard.  I expect
them to be of the genus Catocala, but Covell doesn't show them.  The FW's vary
from a dark brown to a tan.  HW is yellow orange, with only one black band.
Reniform spot is sometimes distinct, and sometimes blurred.

If you have a monment, please take a look.  Sorry the scan is not clear enough,
nor close enough:

http://members.aol.com/ghg3/catocala.jpg