[LEPS-L:7929] Re: Is this a Catocala?

Roger Kendrick hkmoths at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 19 22:43:56 EST 2000

Slight typo on Ron's part - should read Noctua pronuba (Linnaeus,
1758); (Noctuidae, Noctuinae). This is a Palaearctic species that was
introduced a while back to North America. In the U.K., the vernacular
name is The Large Yellow Underwing; colloquial names include
buzz-bomber and #@*#ing nuisance due to its tendancy for complete
annihilation of the rest of the catch in a moth trap whilst tens or
even hundreds of pronuba flap madly about inside the trap.

Hope this helps,

Roger.

--- GHG3 <ghg3 at aol.com> wrote: > I'm very new to this wonderful
hobby.  This was my first season
> collecting.
> I'm sure all of you can help me with identifying these, despite the
> pitiful
> scan.
>
> http://members.aol.com/ghg3/catocala.jpg

=====
Roger C. KENDRICK
Ph.D. candidate
Dept. of Ecology & Biodiversity, The University of Hong Kong

Hong Kong Moths Website - http://hkusub.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm
An Illustrated Guide to the Moths of Hong Kong - http://hkusub.hku.hk/~kendrick/IGMHKinfo.htm
mailto:hkmoths at yahoo.co.uk or mailto:kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk