[LEPS-L:8001] Re: Monarch extinction

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 28 01:07:03 EST 2000

At 07:33  27/11/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Ron Gatrelle wrote:

>Fair questions?  I think so, but without one that is absolutely
>essential, the mix loses much of its fairness: What is the time frame in
>the evolution in question?  Is it not fair to also say that most, if not
>all (someone else will have to answer that one), extinctions to occur in
>the last four hyndred years have occurred at the hands (feet? wheels?
>gases?) of Homo sapiens, not some other (non-human) factor?

Habitat restriction is the major factor that has driven these extinctions
of the last 400 years. This anthropogenic factor has been operative for at
least the last 4000 years in some locations.
  Does anyone have or have a reference to a list of species that have
become extinct in the last 400 years? A geographic plot of the last known
colony of each of these species would be instructive. I mean totally gone
like Passenger Pigeon or Dodo, not almost gone like Ivory Billed Woodpecker.
  Do we even have a firm list of butterfly species that have become extinct
in North America, or in Europe? Is this list as small as I expect, or can
someone substantiate a robust list?
............Chris Durden
.........Chris Durden