beginner requires ID of swallowtail (3 photos)

Robert Dana robert.dana at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Oct 2 09:44:05 EDT 2000

Take a look at the entry for P. cresphontes in Layberry et al., Butterflies of Canada: "It is considered sporadic and rare in Canada, except in southwestern Ontario, where it can be commonly encountered at Point Pelee . . . ."

Robert Dana, Ph.D.
MN DNR
Natural Heritage and Nongame Research Program
500 Lafayette Rd, Box 25
St. Paul, MN 55155
651 297-2367
Email: robert.dana at dnr.state.mn.us

Bret Murray wrote:

> I beleive you are right P crephontes giant swal.  A bit unusual to find so far
> north unless someone was rearing and released them. I dont think they survive
> winter so far north.

It could have been blown north by storm winds.  I think it occurs naturally within
some 200 miles.  Check with a natural history museum or academic entomology
department on that to be sure.