Need information on moths and light pollution

Tiser, Gene M TiserG at mail01.dnr.state.wi.us
Fri Oct 6 17:02:50 EDT 2000

I was "volunteered" to write a short (under a minute) segment on the impact
of increasing light pollution on moths for a children's TV program focused
on Wisconsin.  This is to be part of a half-hour long show on insects.

While I have some background information, I could use some help from this
group as to recent research or informational articles on this topic to use
as references.  Obviously, I do not need to go into this level of detail for
grade school kids - I just would feel more comfortable knowing my
information was backed up!

Specifically, here are some questions that came up for which I would like
information if it exists (educated guesses and opinions based on
observations are welcome too!):

1) What is the impact of light pollution on the long term survival of moth
populations (especially Luna and Cercropia Moths).  Are the moths spending
too much time buzzing the street lights so that they are not reproducing as
they could be (I remember reading an article a long time ago about the
potential negative impact of street lights on Luna populations and how that
may someday make them an endangered species).

2) What are the impacts of bug zappers - we all know they kill moths but do
we have hard figures as to how many, percent of populations, distance of
attraction, etc.....

3) Does the attraction of moths to lights make them easier prey for bats (by
consolidating their numbers)?

4) Do we know what impact birds have on moth populations where the moths
come to a light at night and now are resting during the day on substrates
that do not offer camouflage?

5) Since Cercropia and many other large moths do not feed as adults, what
impacts on their fat reserves/survival rates does a night of flying around a
street light have?

6) What are some things that kids can do, or encourage their parents to do,
to help alleviate the situation such as use less outdoor lighting, change
yard lights to motion detector lights, and provide better shielding for
lights that have to be on all the time.

I have to have this written and turned in for editing by Oct. 11 so I can
use any advice and assistance that you can provide!  Due to the time crunch,
I am particularly interested in items that I can obtain quickly (like
magazine articles that can be accessed from our local library).

A HUGE THANK YOU! IN ADVANCE TO ALL THAT RESPOND!

Gene Tiser
Education Coordinator
NE Region Hdqtrs
PO Box 10448