New swallowtail abstract

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Sat Oct 7 23:25:35 EDT 2000

    This is a copy of the abstract at the beginning of The Taxonomic Report (TTR) issue 2:4. This issue was mailed to our subscribers and the world's main entomological libraries, museums, and professional taxonomists on Sept. 25th. I'm posting it here as some of you will be interested in reading it. If you want, I can post all of our other abstracts here also. It is too bad it is taking so long for us to get our web site up to speed. I'll try to get the pictures of the type specimens (male and female) on the site by Monday evening. The site is www.tils-ttr.org. I'm sending this in a Rich text (HTML) format. I hope that is not a problem.

A NEW NORTH AMERICAN SWALLOWTAIL BUTTERFLY:
DESCRIPTION OF A RELICT SUBSPECIES OF PTEROURUS TROILUS (PAPILIONIDAE)
 FROM THE SOUTHERN TIP OF FLORIDA.

RONALD R. GATRELLE
126 Wells Road, Goose Creek, South Carolina 29445-3413

 ABSTRACT. A neotype is designated for Papilio troilus Linnaeus, 1758 from Middleton Place Plantation, Charleston County, South Carolina. A neotype is designated for Papilio ilioneus J.E. Smith, 1797 from Burke County, Georgia. Abbot's ilioneus figures in Smith are the first published representations of nominotypical Pterourus troilus troilus. Papilio troilus variation texanus Ehrmann, 1900 was described from Houston, Texas. The texanus type is in the Carnegie Museum, Pittsburgh. The name texanus was restricted (by original description) to a gray male form and is not subspecifically available under ICZN article 45.5 or 45.6. This name has occasionally been misapplied subspecifically to populations of troilus from Texas eastward along the Gulf coast to the Atlantic coast of north Florida and southeast Georgia. All populations in these areas are Pterourus troilus troilus. Rothschild & Jordan (1906), Seitz (1924), and Tyler (1994) are examined. Pterourus troilus fakahatcheensis Gatrelle is described from the vicinity of the Fakahatchee Strand, Collier County, Florida. Its range is restricted to the Everglades ecosystem south of Florida Hwy. 80 at the southern tip of Florida. Pterourus troilus fakahatcheensis is hypothesized to be a peri-Pleistocene relict of the central Florida island or Caribbean faunas. The fakahatcheensis holotype and both neotypes are currently in the Museum of the Hemispheres (MOTH), Goose Creek, South Carolina.

Ron Gatrelle