Linda Rogers. How it works.

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Tue Oct 10 21:13:45 EDT 2000

    Sorry, I was ready to be done with the monarch thing. But The message
form Linda Rogers compels me to jump in here again. First, her message then
my comments.

>From Linda:
>According to
>the butterfly society leaders listed below, this
>is already a big problem. They wrote:
>(see http://www.naba.org/weddings.html):
>
>"In addition, these releases create a commercial market for
>live butterflies (currently about $10/apiece), with the result that,
>for example, the Monarch overwintering sites in Mexico and on
>the California coast are now targets for poachers."
>
>Jeffrey Glassberg (president of NABA)
>Paul Opler
>Robert M. Pyle
>Robert Robbins
>James Tuttle (president, (Lepidopterists' Society)

************************************

I never did know quite how they (authors above) thought that would work.  A
poacher, or butterfly bandito, would collect butterflies in Mexico from the
overwintering site, then if they sent them 2-day  delivery to the U.S. to a
butterfly vendor, then they were unpackaged and repackaged for shipment to
customers, well, none of them would survive all of that shipping and
packing.  It simply would not work!  Besides, you cannot ship live insects
from Mexico into the U.S. without a permit and USDA would not allow this,
would they?  Or, do they think that butterfly poacher farms will spring up
down in Mexico and ship to customers in the U.S.?  I just never did get how
this terrifically lucrative poacher business was supposed to work.

And since that statement was made, how many such butterfly poaching
operations are known to exist?  Has this been found to happen, as
predicted?  How long can you keep saying something COULD happen, when it
doesn't occur and evidently never will?

Linda Rogers
***********************************

Dear Linda,
    Your kidding, right. I find it hard to believe that anybody today is
really that naive (sweet). Have you ever heard of Cocaine?
    "Gosh, Pablo, how are we going to get this three tons of drugs to the
US? I mean we cannot ship drugs (live insects) from Mexico into the U.S.
without a permit from the FDA (USDA)."   Your statement of... "you cannot
ship live insects from Mexico into the U.S. without a permit." is
incredible. No wonder you, by your own words, don't get it.  How is it
suppose to WORK?  BY BREAKING THE LAW! If there are marijuana farms there
can be illegal any-other-kind of "farm."
They are called "crooks" because their dealings are crooked, felonious.
    You are a monarch "expert" and you can't think of a way to ship living
specimens from point A to point B to point C without them dying in transit
in just a few days. First, as Lepidoptera go, monarchs are very long lived.
Second, they overwinter in the tops of trees because it is not as COLD in
the top of the tree and it is on the ground. Humm. Their elevation on the
tree is important to keep them cold but not too cold. Cold, humm, cold, YAH
COLD!! "Hey Pablo, I didn't get a permit but I found this guy who will drive
the monarchs packed in COOLERS to the states where they can be kept alive in
COOLers for months till we find a buyer at $10 a bug-head."
    Perhaps, this is how Jeffrey Glassberg, Paul Opler, Robert M. Pyle,
Robert Robbins, and James Tuttle (president, (Lepidopterists' Society)
thought it might work.