help identifying caterpillar!

shulamis at my-deja.com shulamis at my-deja.com
Wed Oct 11 07:07:25 EDT 2000

Well, thanks everyone for your help. It's definitely the
Syntomeida epilais, judging by the helpful pictures. Now, here's
something funny....I actually brought home with me an adult of the
species, which I had found on the hotel roof one morning. What a
coincedence, huh? :) And also, the caterpillar has started spinning the
cacoon right in the little envelope I caught it in.

Thanks again everyone!

-Shulamis

In article <39E425E7.1AA39929 at versailles.inra.fr>,
  Pierre Zagatti <zagatti at versailles.inra.fr> wrote:
> We have photos of larvae of both Syntomeida epilais and Agraulis
vanillae (link
> over the word 'larva') at :

http://www.inra.fr/Internet/Produits/PAPILLON/arctiid/texteng/s_epilai.h
tm

http://www.inra.fr/Internet/Produits/PAPILLON/papilion/nymphali/texteng/
a_vanill.htm

> Richard Worth wrote:
>
> > Anne,  Please disregard my last posting as your latest had not come
> > through when I sent mine.  Sorry.  Rich
> >
> > >Sorry; I zigged when I should have zagged. Gulf Frit it is.
> > >Anne Kilmer
> > >
> > >"DR. JAMES ADAMS" wrote:
> > >  >
> > >  > > Shulamis,
> > >  > >
> > >  > >  You saw the caterpillar of the Gulf Fritillary, Agraulis
vanillae.
> > >  > > Not only a nice looking caterpillar, but a nice looking
butterfly as
> > >  > > well.  And, as you surmised, quite common in Florida.
> > >  > >
> > >  >
> > >  >         As was suggested, it is possible that you saw the
caterpillar of
> > >  > Syntomeida epilais, but this is an orange caterpillar with
*tufts of
> > >  > hair*, not "spikes" as you suggest.  The Gulf Fritillary has
the
> > >  > "spikes".
> > >  >
> > >  >         James
> > >  >
> > >  > Dr. James K. Adams
> > >  > Dept. of Natural Science and Math
> > >  > Dalton State College
> > >  > 213 N. College Drive
> > >  > Dalton, GA  30720
> > >  > Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
> > >  > U of Michigan's President James Angell's
> > >  >   Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"
> >
> > Richard A. Worth
> > Oregon Department of Agriculture
> > Plant Division
> > rworth at oda.state.or.us
> > (503) 986-6461
>
> --
> Pierre ZAGATTI
> INRA Unite de Phytopharmacie et Mediateurs Chimiques
> 78026 Versailles Cedex
> FRANCE
> Tel: (33) 1 30 83 31 18
> e-mail zagatti at versailles.inra.fr