Butterfly release debate

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Fri Oct 13 17:10:04 EDT 2000

Paul,

Bruce Walsh and I both have PhD's in population genetics from the same school
of researchers (Felsenstein, Slatkin, Turelli etc). Bruce is presently more
expert on quantitative genetics than I am, but I helped to teach him
quantitative genetics in the first place at UCDavis, so I am not a fool about
it. I am better versed in biogeography, extinction theory and epidemiology. I
state my credentials to counter the argument by appeal to authority you seem
to be making. There are better authorities than Bruce on these issues,
although his ideas are worthy of consideration. Your dismissal of Brower and
others is wrong. They bring a lot of background and experience to the table,
and if not geneticists themselves, they are in communication with lots of
them.

Bruce exaggerates the effectiveness of the molecular techniques he mentions.
Even without the messes caused by random releases, no one has succeeded in
reconstructing the details of animal migrations with these techniques. Look
at Avise's book 2000 Phylogeography as an example of the state of the art,
good not great.

You are unaware of any diseases of monarch butterflies. This is not a very
persuasive argument. I am not an insect pathologist, but a visit to the
library would surely turn up something, or a visit to the microscope. If you
seriously believe that monarch butterflies harbor no fungi, no bacteria, no
viruses, no transposons, no parasites whatsoever, then you should demonstrate
that and win a Nobel prize in medicine. The monarch would be unique to
science! And are you suggesting that only monarchs should be released? Or
only Painted ladies and monarchs. Should we draw a line there in your
opinion?

As I have written. Vanessa has speciated in North America alone, despite its
wanderings, which suggests that isolated populations have occurred and were
perhaps best left to themselves at the time. But you feel safe in releasing
painted ladies anywhere in NA?

Look, some of you have a vested interest in releases. Some field researchers
have a vested interest against release. I have neither. My research is
theoretical nad natural historical, but I personally can live with releases.
I also have been a proponent of insect releases for biological control of
weeds (and have studied potential agents against Yellow Star Thistle). As an
ecologist and evolutionist, I enjoy seeing the world work out its problems on
its own, but I would like to see people have as much freedom as their sense
of responsibility allows. I'd like to see the proreleasers show enough sense
of responsibility to fund the research to understand the world they want to
mess with. And if you can't do that, and you don't want to wait for the
scientific debate to settle out, than draw some clear cut lines in the sand.
Which species are open for release and where?

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu

PS This is more fun than grading tests, but I have to get back to it. Have
fun with the problem.