MAES & Monarch subspeciation

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Sat Oct 14 14:58:22 EDT 2000

>From Ron,
    Chris, properly framed.  I agree completely. There are real threats to
the overwintering monarchs. I just do not appreciate those who are screaming
fire in the theater, paying for tags (for any reason), or have too much of
their life's income based on crisis perpetuation.
    I think we could get more protection for N.A. plexippus WHERE NEEDED if
the subspecies were published and recognized. I think A. Brower should do
this. I think we at TTR would agree to publish such a paper. It currently
only takes us about two months from article review/acceptance to
publication. TTR is, in my view, the most logical avenue for the quick (but
not careless) description of newly discovered endangered leps.
Ron Gatrelle