Basic instinct - NOT

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Sun Oct 22 14:52:03 EDT 2000

Ann wrote: Our disinclination to eat fruits and veg that have been
bug-bitten is
based on a knowledge (practically a race memory) that the plant gets
nasty-tasting when it's been chewed on.

    Sorry Ann, this is not a latent Neanderthal carry over. It is a
societally induced western aversion to perceived ickey poo. I was once on a
hike in Michigan and passed an orchard. Upon seeing an apple on the road I
picked it up only to find it had been chewed on by something like a raccoon.
As I ate it, my friend threw up. His dog ate the throw up, which he thought
was funny. I thought it was gross.