Gillett's Checkerspot

Niklas Wahlberg niklas.wahlberg at helsinki.fi
Fri Oct 27 09:29:30 EDT 2000

Hi,

Ron Gatrelle wrote:
> to hear the reasoning behind this. As I said before, what am I missing here?
>     Kondla referred to this unknown party when he posted _a kind person has
> pointed out that these [Gillette's & Gillett's] are actually English names
> rather than common names. My response to this was a question about what did
> I miss here -- I don't get it.

The point is that there are many common names for many species, they
happen to be in different languages. For instance, if I were to
translate gillettii into Finnish, it would be gillettenverkkoperhonen.
And the "e" at the end of gillett is purely gramatical. We have many
common names in Finnish, but I would not presume to call the "common" on
this international e-mail list. We have gone through this discussion
several times and the consensus (I think) is that latin names are the
way to go. I'm not the "kind person" in question, but I am quick to
respond to people who think that English is the only language in the
world.

Cheers,
Niklas

   Niklas Wahlberg
   Metapopulation Research Group
   Department of Ecology and Systematics
   Division of Population Biology
   PO Box 17 (Arkadiankatu 7)
   00014 University of Helsinki
   Finland
   p. +358-9-191 28778, fax +358-9-191 28701

 Check out our web-site:
  http://www.helsinki.fi/science/metapop/