Bug zappers

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Mon Oct 30 21:01:08 EST 2000

    About 10 years ago I first encountered another road-side horror show.
Akien County, SC is in the Sandhills region of the state. As implied by they
name, the area is arid and sandy. A stretch of rural paved secondary road
that goes through prime habit was being manicured by what looked like a type
of snow blower. Except what was being sucked up off he shoulder was not snow
but soil -- vegetation and all. This was being blown back into the turkey
oaks about 30 to 40 feet. I have not seen Atrytone arogos in this area since
which would frequently nectar at the wildflowers growing on the shoulder, in
the ditch, and woods edge -- all of which was effectively sterilized of
wildflowers.
    There are many instances which can be cited here of Federal and State
environmental destruction -- from this to bug zappers in Nation Parks. NABA
seems strangely silent on these matters.