rearing red admiral butterflies

Runar Krogen rkrogen at online.no
Mon Sep 4 12:50:35 EDT 2000

Hi

I know that Thomas E. Dimock wrote an article on culture maintenance of
Vanessa atalanta rubria sometimes in the eighties: It is published in one
the American journals, but do not at the moment know which.
Dimock used a flight cage which measured 51 X 51 X 122 cm. In the cage
reared males displayed territorial chase behaviour, although flights were
limited. Also courting and mating took place. Cages with 15 to 20
butterflies produced good results. Temperature and light played an
important matter. Females began to lay eggs one day after mating and could
produce over 300 eggs. Wild collected males did not adjust to the
confinement of the cage, and showed no interest in unmated females and were
flying towards the netting and damaging their wings.
>From February to July 1982 Dimock raised four continuous generations of V.
atalanta rubria.

Runar Krogen

Buvika, Norway