Hemileuca nuttalli

Chris Conlan conlan at adnc.com
Fri Sep 22 00:21:11 EDT 2000

You gotta be patient with these guys.  It is not uncommon for the pupae of
some Hemileuca to wait two or more years to emerge.  (note that this does
not apply to all species and may also vary from population to population
within a species)  I live in San Diego and usually just leave my pupae
outside sitting on a layer of peat moss or potting soil in a cage to
experience the mild winters we have and spray them with water from time to
time to prevent them from drying out.  In my experience the most pupal
eclosions occur on the 2nd and 3rd years but don't be surprised if you have
to wait as long as 5 years for some to hatch.

Chris