butterflies of the "edge"

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Fri Sep 22 18:27:11 EDT 2000

This is why hedgerows, swales and ditches are so important in farmland,
suburbs, and as green belts through cities. They provide the optimum
environment for small mammals, birds and assorted insects.
In Ireland, there are laws forbidding the pruning of hedges (on
uncultivated land) until August 15 when the birds ought to be through
nesting.
Many municipal rules about proper yard-keeping are designed to prevent
"vermin" from invading house and yard. Most of those rules make wildlife
unwelcome, which means that the rats etc. thrive.
So the rules need to be rethought.
It's a neat thing to be working on.
Anne Kilmer
south florida