Poor butterflies :(( and a question for some people

David Webster david.h.webster at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 26 13:46:59 EDT 2000

Dear John and All:                            Sept 26, 2000
    This may be just an ancedotal account but, over the last 50 years in Kings
County, Nova Scotia, where I have lived most of my 65 years, there has been a
dramatic degradation of habitat.
    In conjunction with this degradation, many wild plants and animals have
become less common, with the exception of those "weedy" species (e.g. crows,
racoons, ragweed, house flies, etc.) which thrive in the wake of human activity.
    Of course there are spikes in some populations. Mourning Cloaks are abundant
this year. But those butterfly meadows which used to be mowed in August are now
grazed all summer. The ponds which once had an abundance of frogs and painted
turtles are now just dry dimples in an overgrazed meadow. Those acres of shopping
mall parking lot are not especially high in biological productivity.
    And unfortunately there are some people who continue to believe that reliable
natural history information can be obtained only by official surveys, in which
data of recent years is used as the baseline.

Yours truly, David Webster, Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada