Butterfly Conservation Press Release

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 27 00:42:17 EDT 2000

At 11:39  27/09/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Neil Jones passed on the following from a press release:
>
>>  Species such as the Gatekeeper and Speckled Wood have moved from the
>>  fringes to colonise places such as Hyde and Regents Park, The Tower
>>  of London . . .
>
>That's really amazing!!  I had no idea that butterflies have started
>colonizing buildings!  Must be a *lot* of indoor plants and windows
>in the Tower of London . . .
>
>		James

James,
  There are moats and lawns around the tower with a lot of grass that has
been there since Norman times at least. The reappearance of The Gatekeeper
and The Speckled Wood probably indicate a change in management practices,
difference of fertilizer used, change in water quality or relaxation of
maintenance schedules, maybe reduction in staff etc.
  Maybe with a little gene splicing someone could come up with a butterfly
to be called The Beefeater that would feel even more at home at The Tower.
It would have to be something distasteful to ravens though.
......Chris Durden