Propagation of typos

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 2 00:40:29 EDT 2001

At 10:52 AM 4/2/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>It was my understanding long ago that if a name was misspelled on the
>original description, it nonetheless attained priority and could not be
>corrected unless there was evidence that the author intended a different
>spelling.
>In other words if it was a typographical error, the author could correct
>it, but if it was a misspelling it could not be changed.

---------------------
I understand that a mismatch in gender of the original spelling is to be
treated as an obligatory correction to be made automatically.
---------------------

>Is this still true (or was it ever true) and if so how does it apply to
>endings that do not agree in gender.
>
>What's the point in changing a species name everytime someone revises at
>the genus level. MIKE GOCHFELD

Because it feels right linguistically in Latin, the language chosen for
international scientific names for organisms. Many languages pay more
attention to gender (2 or 3) than we do in English but even in English it
still matters on occasion (his/her, Mr./Ms.)