Phyciodes (names)

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 4 01:48:52 EDT 2001

James,
    You bring up another complication. There are several ways of naming a
species in honor of someone.
*X. jonesi* is named after a Mr. Jones.
*X. jonesae* is named after a Ms. Jones.
*X. jonesorum* is named after the Jones brothers or Jones clan.
*X. jonesarum* is named after the Jones sisters.
*X. jonesiana* from the collection or accumulation of Mr. Jones.
*X. jonesaeana* from the collection or accumulation of Ms. Jones.
*X. jonesensis* from the place named Jones.
*X. jonesoides* like Jones.

In all these cases it does not matter what the gender of genus *X.* is.
(Except -iana/-aeana changes to -ianus/-aeanus for a feminine genus -
almost missed that!)
It does matter when the species epithet is an adjective because the
adjective must take the gender of the genus/noun it describes.

Now to be difficult:
If we named a genus *Xania* we would have to state the gender in the
original description or nobody would know what it is because this is a
non-word as there is no X in Latin. For laffs let's call it feminine.
We could have *Xania browni* named for Mr. Brown; *Xania brownae* named for
Ms. Brown; *Xania brownensis* named for its occurrence at Brown Mountain
(along with the lights); *Xania brunnea* for brown in color; but *Xania
brunneus* would be wrong. After a while you learn this and reflexively
cringe at the errors.
Remember it is not the species name that carries the gender, but the genus.
The species name is just a descriptor of some sort.
    Now maybe some classics expert can correct me and clarify the situation.
................Chris Durden