Pyrgus centaureae and moth question

Randy Emmitt birdcr at concentric.net
Thu Apr 5 13:06:08 EDT 2001

Folks last spring I believe I found a Pyrgus centaureae (Grizzled Skipper)
near Linville Falls in the North Carolina mountains in early May. I`d like
to get a photograph of this rare species in NC as it hasn`t been reported
in many years here. Can anyone suggest the best time to go and places I
might look? Thanks in advance for your help.

Next question is about moth cocoons. I`ve seen many of these small cocoons
about the size of a woman`s thumb rounded on one end and sort of pointed on
the other, always on  Cercis canadensis, Eastern Redbud trees in both the
piedmont and coastal plain I`ve found these. Anyone know what moth this
might be? Also today I found the biggest cocoon I`ve ever seen on Eastern
Redbud, it was nearly 1 3/4 wide by 3 inches long what would it be? I`ve
collected one of both of these cocoons.

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC

Randy Emmitt Photography