Field Guide Brochure

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Sun Apr 8 18:06:01 EDT 2001

I recently received a brochure for the" Field Guide to Butterflies of
Illinois." The book is very similar in style to "Michigan Butterflies &
Skippers." I am currently the Newsletter Editor of the Society of Kentucky
Lepidopterists, as I was preparing the Book Announcement for the newsletter I
noticed something that greatly disturbed me. Int the Brochure heading was the
following

FIELD GUIDE TO BUTTERFLIES OF ILLINOIS

A field guide to aid biologists, naturalist, land managers, law enforcement
officials, and students in the identification of butterflies found in
Illinois. This guide contains more than 300 color photographs of all species
plus information on habitats, natural history, and distribution>

What disturbed me was the need of "law enforcement Officials" to have this
book!

Did the authors think that law enforcement officials need to be able to
identify all the butterflies that are found in Illinois? Will this help them
to prevent crimes! Or, does Illinois have endangered species and this book
will help them to identify butterflies that a collector may have in their
position? I mentioned this to a non lepidopterists friend of mind, his
comment, "Essential Reading for every Chicago Cop! "

Any comments, or did I miss something when I read the brochure!